1. We’ve had a lot of clues that all was not right at the Clave (*cough cough* chipping Downworlders *cough cough*), were you planting those all along?
Yes. There has definitely been a growing tension between the Clave and the Downworld throughout the season, and this sense of distrust is part of the reason why some of the Downworlders decided they needed to protect themselves against Valentine by going with the Seelie Queen.
2. We’re so happy Malec’s back together. Can you talk about Magnus’ change of heart?
As you saw, things started to get rocky when Alec withheld the truth that Clave never retrieved the Soul Sword. Eventually, Magnus had to make the difficult decision to take a step back from his relationship with Alec so that he could be a more effective leader to the Warlocks. But at the end of the day, he can’t deny his heart. The force of their love for each other is stronger than any of these extenuating factors.
3. Clary’s really come into her own as a Shadowhunter, Valentine completely underestimated her at Lake Lyn. Can you talk about her journey in season 2?
At the beginning of season 2 there was a point where Clary was still wondering if the Shadowhunter life was really for her. During the course of the season, she had to confront both her past – and her future – as she discovered more and more about herself and her capacity as a Shadowhunter with pure angel blood. Episode 220 is the culmination of that season 2 journey. At the same time she’s had to grapple with her conflicted feelings regarding family. By killing Valentine, she was also killing her biological father – and Sebastian had just died too, leaving the Shadowhunters as her only family moving forward. Her anger towards Valentine reached a lethal peak when he killed Jace in front of her eyes. At that point he should have known there was no way he was going to win that fight with Clary.
4. We have to give Valentine credit, the man has a knack for doing the impossible. Is he really dead?
This time, Valentine is dead, dead, dead.
5. Speaking of dead, what’s going on with Sebastian and who did he summon on the beach?
We will see more about what’s going on with all of that in season 3. One thing we can say is, keep in mind Sebastian’s dying words: “Mother…”
6. We knew from that long hug with Maia that Simon was about to do something selfless and brave. What awaits Simon at the Seelie Court?
As we’ve seen, it’s never easy to predict what the Seelie Queen has in store. But she’s had her eye on Simon for quite some time, and she definitely has plans for him.
7. Lastly, what was your favorite moment from season 2?
Too many to just pick one – or even just five for that matter. In no particular order: Alec seeing Magnus’ cat eyes for the first time; Izzy/Clary training fight in 201, Izzy and Raphael making Tamales, as well as Izzy confronting Raphael doing anything she can for some Yin Fen; Maia telling Simon the story of getting scratched by Jordan; Luke confronting his inner-wolf in 206; Clary and Simon dealing with the aftermath of the Seelie Court kiss; Jace de-runing Valentine; Sebastian and Valentine in the cabin in 216; Magnus dancing; and of course the whole Angel Raziel sequence in episode 20.